"COHA Senior Research Fellow W. Alejandro Addresses Colombia’s National Police"
August 20, 2015
COHA Press Release: http://www.coha.org/coha-senior-research-fellow-w-alejandro-addresses-colombias-national-police/
On Thursday, August 20, COHA Senior Research Fellow W. Alejandro Sánchez gave a conference via Skype at the “Miguel Antonio Lleras Pizarro” Academy of Graduate Studies, part of Colombia’s National Police force (Policía Nacional de Colombia – PNC). The title of Mr. Sánchez’s presentation was: “Do Latin American Violent Movements Nowadays Have A Political Ideology?” In attendance were over 200 PNC officers.
Colonel Luis Ernesto García Hernández, the director of Colombia’s police academy, provided introductory remarks.
Mr. Sánchez has carried out in-depth research regarding the political ideologies (or lack thereof) and motivations of Latin American violent movements, past and present. Some of his articles on the topic include:
- Alejandro Sánchez. “Give War a Chance Revisited – The Price to Pay: The Military and Terrorism in Peru.” Defense Studies. 2011. Volume 11, Issue 3. Pages 517-540.
- Alejandro Sánchez. “Sangre Joven: Understanding the New Wave of Armed Groups in Latin America.” Security and Defense Studies Review: Interdisciplinary Journal of the Center for Hemispheric Defense Studies. Volume 12, No. 1 & 2. Fall-Winter 2011. P. 135 -153.
- Alejandro Sánchez and COHA Research Associate Kimberly Bullard. “On Separatism in Latin America.” e-International Relations. May 20, 2013. Article available:
- Alejandro Sánchez. “Defining Mexico’s Zapatista Army of National Liberation.” E-International Relations. October 22, 2012.
- Alejandro Sánchez. “The End of Ideologically-Motivated Violent Movements in Latin America?” E-International Relations. September 24, 2012.